The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Amazing Counterpart

I haven’t written a blog post in a while. Partly out of laziness, but mainly because the things that I once deemed exciting are now normal and commonplace. A taxi ride that includes random vodka stops is expected, watching a sheep be slaughtered is as eventful as buying a package of ground beef,  and upon returning to Kyrgyzstan after a short visit to America, for my sister’s wedding, it felt proper to be cut in line by an old pushy Russian lady. I guess this means this once foreign place is no longer foreign to me. It has become my home and feels like home. There are some aspects about Kyrgyzstan I truly love, but other aspects I can’t wait to escape.  There is one thing in this country that has been for me the best part about living here. She has made this experience amazing and made me so thankful for her. It is my counterpart Janyl Eje. In Peace Corps all volunteers are paired with a counterpart or two. This is the person our host organization has chosen or by some other means became interested in working with an American volunteer. Often times the counterparts don’t work out and the volunteer ends up with another counterpart, no counterpart or several others counterparts for a variety of reasons. The counterpart moves to Bishkek or Russia for better work and pay, or realizes this American is not a source of income and unlimited resources for their personal gain. These scenarios have all played out in Kyrgyzstan with other volunteers, but I won the lottery.
 
My Kyrgyz tutor on the left along with my counterpart on the right at a Peace Corps training
My Counterpart in the middle and her daughter far left at our summer camp
My counterpart is a middle aged doctor and mother of three. She is one of two doctors at our village hospital. She is technically a gynecologist by training but sees all kinds of patients. Her husband is the other doctor and director of the hospital. They both were trained during the soviet times. Her husband fought with the soviets when they were in Afghanistan and I’ve seen the medals and heard the stories that go along with it. They are more educated than most from the village and have even travelled outside of Kyrgyzstan. Most in my village have never left our region and if they have, they have only been to the capital. These are not the reasons why my counterpart is the best. Yes she may be more educated, cultured, and slightly better off financially than others in my village but none of these affect my opinion of her.

The felt rug my counterpart made my family from their own sheep
My counterpart talking about HIV at one of our lessons
For me she is the one local Kyrgyz person that doesn’t speak a bit of English but can communicate with me better than any other local. It is her numerous acts of generosity towards me, my family, and friends she has shown. It is her hugs and cheek kisses she greets me with every time I see her. It is her devotion to her work, her patients, her family, and the health of Kyrgyzstan that makes me view her in such esteem. The only times I’ve ever seen her angry or upset are when higher ups in the village (the village government or school director) have lied or deviated from what they said they would do to help us accomplish our work. For example raising money at the school to pay for sinks and soap, instead the director bought wall paper for the school and the sinks remained in their broken and soapless condition. One of my first memories of being at site was on a trip to our regional city center Bokonbaev. I was starving all I had eaten was some stale bread in the morning and it was now late afternoon. She shows up with a bag of fruit, I presume to share but she says no this is for you take it home and keep it in your room for when you are hungry.  When my parents came to visit they gave up their master bedroom for my parents, they slaughtered one of their sheep, and gave them amazing gifts expecting nothing in return. She has done so many similar acts of kindness towards me only because she is that kind of person. No one in my village has made me feel more welcomed, no one has gone so far out of their way to make me feel comfortable here, no one here has spent so much of their own limited resources on me just because. People often ask volunteers what their favorite part about service is, or why they stuck out, or what they will miss the most. For me the answer is easy. 

My counterpart.

My counterpart far left and several others from my village after a recent HIV themed event.

No comments:

Post a Comment