The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Flooded With Emotions!

Wow what a great way to start my first day in Kyrgyzstan….  I was just finishing my shower and when I went to push down the little pin on the faucet I pushed too hard and snap!  The whole faucet snapped off the wall of the shower and water began spraying everywhere uncontrollably.  S*#t!!!  After a quick examination revealed I could not fix it I quickly threw on some clothes, soaking wet, and rain down 5 flights of stairs as fast as I could.  I found the first English speaking hotel staff I could and they followed me up to the room only to run back down to call someone who could fix it.  Finally a plumber, or at least someone with the know-how showed up to save the day.  Water had filled up the bathroom floor and had began flowing out of the bathroom into the hall way…  I stood by and watched them clean up feeling like a complete doof!  We had to switch rooms along with the people in the room below us since the water dripped down into their room also.  I can only hope this is not a sign of this experience as a whole!  It was a big screw up, but quite comedic all at the same time, and all of my fellow trainees rightfully so poked fun at me when they found out. 

The next 2 days we had out crash courses in Kyrgyz culture, language, and our future job.  I feel like I am already in love with the Country from only be here a few days, especially after looking off of our 5th floor balcony to have this as a surreal backdrop.  I almost wonder if it’s real and not some leftover Soviet backdrop! 


 During these first 2 days we also had the honor of hearing the US ambassador to the Kyrgyz Republic speak to us.  I don’t remember her name unfortunately and don’t have Internet at the time I’m writing this up.  She spoke about our job as volunteer’s in helping carry out the USA’s mission in the Kyrgyz republic.  The three main goals of the USA are fostering its young democracy, helping the Kyrgyz Republic develop economically, and strengthening the USA’s security.  


While at the hotel we were not allowed to go any further than across the street with out a Peace Corps staff accompanying us.  It was for the best as Bishkek is a large sprawling city and the people, while nice are not used to Americans.  There are only about 200 Americans, besides military forces in the Kyrgyz Republic.  During my time I hope to do my best to carry out the Peace Corps mission, which consists of
1. To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for
trained men and women.
2. To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part
of the peoples served.
3. To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the
part of all Americans.

After our first two days were up we were ready to head off to our training sites to meet our first host family.  During the matching ceremony each village we would be placed in performed some element of Kyrgyz culture, some sang, others danced, and other played traditional Kyrgyz instruments.  After their performance’s we were called up by our new villages.  My village was first…. The excitement was overwhelming.  Once all of the host mothers and trainees were on stage the music cued and we searched for our new host mother’s.  I found my new Kyrgyz mother (apa), my mother’s name is Tolkunai in English!  


2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Can't wait to hear more about all of your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting!
    First, your stories are hilarious. I can't believe I didn't find out about the shower incident until now!
    Second, your writing is magnificent! Just wanted to throw that out there.
    Finally, I can't wait to hear about all your other adventures!!! Hope you're doing well :)
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete